Thursday, April 9, 2009

Decisions

There comes a time in every one's life where a big decision has to be made. Some decisions are trivial and only effect the now. Others send out little ripples that change the future only slightly. Still others send tsunamis out that not only effect your life but the lives of those around you. They not only effect it but they change it. They make an impact so deep it can take years to see all that changed based on this one singular decision. We all have these decisions to make. We make them all the time. Still some are difficult.

I spent six years getting my bachelors and masters degrees. Six years is not a little amount of time. Not to mention the money involved. I spent two years trying to get the boys. That too is not a little amount of time. Not to mention the money and emotion involved. Doing these things required BIG decisions. They were not things I entered into lightly.

This week I had another BIG decision to make. A very good friend talked to her school about me. They will be hiring next year. I could have possibly had my own classroom. That is something I worked hard for, something I wanted for a long time. BUT now I have the boys. So what to do? The money would be nice but that would put the boys in daycare and I would miss out on a lot. So to make this long story a little shorter after tears and much math. Erick and I decided that the majority of our long term goals could be put off. That Owen and Ethan need me more than we need the money. I am putting off teaching for one more year in order to stay home with the people who matter most to me in the world. I think the boys will understand why they didn't always get the biggest and the best toys. BUT I don't think I could understand why I put money over my children.

Before this post offends anyone let me end by saying that in these tough economic times there are many families that need the second income in order to survive. I am so grateful that in this is not us and Erick is secure enough in his position that I am able to take this time off.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your decision. It is a hard choice to make and you are luck that you get to have the option to stay home when others don't.

    I agree with you about the babies needing you more than they need the newest and coolest toys. I look back on my childhood and am thankful for the time my mom spent working PT and being a SAHM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bet you will LOVE you year off!! i think you made the perfect decision for your family. good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no shame in staying home with your children. That's why I am a nanny now. I don't want someone else raising my kids and I swore I would never be a parent who left their child with someone else for 12 hours a day. Good for you and Erick for being able to have one income. You are going to love staying home with them.

    ReplyDelete