Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Adventures with penises

A long time ago Erick and I decided that I dont have a penis so the choice to circumcise was his. If we had had girls the ears would have been my choice.

Well Erick wanted it done but while we were in the hospital the boys were to small. Before we left the boys pedi told us she would refer us out when it was time because her practice charges $600/penis (at the hospital it would only be $250). It is considered elective and cosmetic so insurance doesnt cover it. Fine.

Well they were finally big enough to have it done. We went to the new Dr and the boys were weighed Owen is now 6lb 12oz and Ethan is 6lb 1oz. They are getting so big. The procedure was explained to us. Owen was taken first. After what seemed like a long time he was brought back to me. He wasnt crying and the nurse said he did great. They said they needed to prep for Ethan she would be back. As soon as she left Owen was not happy. He screamed and was unconsolable. It was all I could do not to break down crying too. Finally he was somewhat calm and about 2 sec later Ethan was back. She said I was right and Ethan cried more but mostly about being tied down. Ethan didnt cry like Owen did in my arms but I didnt give him the chance. We packed up to leave hoping that the cry ride would put them to sleep. Thank goodness it did. We did some errands then headed home. The poor boys were so clingy. The rest of the day was so off and diaper changes have reached a whole new octave. Now we wait the 7-10 days for the plastibell and the foreskin to fall off. My poor babies.

I believe as a direct result of this eating and sleep is off. I really hope they get back on track before Erick goes back to work next week.

2 comments:

  1. They should be fine after a week or so as long as you keep petroleum jelly on their little "guys" and keep it covered with sterile gauze. We watched Solomon's "operation" and I think it was more traumatizing for me than for him...but I'm glad I was there. I cried more than he did, and he cried because he was held down...It helped though that I was able to nurse him immediately after. Maybe a bottle would help soothe? Don't worry though, this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I am still in the TTTC group, I am clueless about this stuff. So they don't cut off the foreskin anymore? Just wait until the skin dies and falls off? In a way that seems more humane than cutting it off but the tying down part would be hard to see.

    ReplyDelete